Sunday 7 October 2007

Tag, I'm It

Wordtryst has challenged me with a bookish meme. It took me a few minutes to figure out what a meme was, but I'm okay now. Just in case anyone out there is as clueless as me (doubtful) I'll explain what a meme is: A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

It's sorta like that hair product commercial - You'll tell two friends, and they'll tell two friends, and so on, and so on...

Anyway, here it is:

Total Number of Books: They're all over the place. Let's see... ten in the dining room, five in the living room, ten paperbacks scattered in the bedroom and about fifty on the shelves in the rec room.

Last Book I Read: Mad River Road by Joy Fielding. I wanted to see how she handled romantic suspense and I enjoyed the book a lot.

Last Book I Bought: A Boy Scout handbbook printed in 1957 as a gift for my brother in law's fiftieth birthday.

5 Meaningful Books:

Lord of the Rings by You Know Who: Since I was a teen, I went back to this book (or books) every five or six years. Each time I read it I understood a little bit more of Tolkien's world. I like stories where I can trace the characters' ancestries back to the beginning. It satisfies my crazy imagination.

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy: Written in 1905 after the success of the stage play, Baroness Orczy wove a story of romance and adventure set during the French Revolution. It was the precursor of the 'super hero' story. I picked up my first copy when I was sixteen, and loved it so much I searched for another copy at the used book store. It's currently on my bedside table. Maybe I should read it again.

A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle: I felt like Meg Murry when I read this book. I often wished I could be swept up in an adventure on a faraway planet. I'm still trying to get my daughter to read it.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel: This novel touched something deep inside me, forcing me to rethink the foundations of religion and the role it plays in society today. It also made me think about how a human mind can alter reality when under duress. It's my favourite maritime tiger novel!

Anything by Dick Francis: It's like chips; I can't just read one. His books are a perfect mix of horses, adventure, a little romance and mystery. I'm so glad he's writing again, even if it's with the help of his son. Keep it going, Felix!

I enjoyed participating in this challenge, but I'll spare my fellow bloggers and let someone else spread the wealth.

2 comments:

Zara Penney said...

Couldn't get off the back cover of the Life of Pi.

Just finished reading Rebecca, but then you know why LOL
hugs
ZP

Liane Spicer said...

Whoa! You've got three of my faves in there. I've read Pimpernel about six times. Pi was so good I wanted to marry Yann Martel.

As for Dick Francis - I've only read two (passed on by my horse-mad equestrian sister) but I'm a fan for life. Do you know that he won three Edgars?