Monday 30 April 2007

Thank God You're Here

There's a new and exciting television show called Thank God You're Here. Popular comedians test their improv skills by dressing up in a costume and allowing themselves to be thrown in the middle of a scene with absolutely no idea who they are, where they are, or what they're doing. The object is to be funny on the fly.

Improvisation comedy isn't scripted. A performer must rely on his or her wits in order to come up with a hilarious performance. This type of performing isn't necessarily better or worse than rehearsed, but it's certainly a different way to approach your craft. It's also great training.

In some ways, writing can be approached in similar ways. We can do detailed outlines and research, carefully plotting each scene with a definite goal in mind (rehearse), or we can simply throw ourselves into the middle of a scene and come up with something that will capture the reader (improv).

I'm trying both ways, just to see which method suits me. I think improv is winning.

That's me as Captain Jack Sparrow. I love Halloween.

3 comments:

Bernita said...

Put that way, it sounds terrifying!

Heidi the Hick said...

Well slightly off topic, but I have to say it:

I looked at your profile and decided to have a read since you and I are practically neighbours (me a little further south down the long street if y'know what I mean) and then I see....

Ha! I once wore a very similar halloween costume to the one pictured on you! Great minds eh?

Sandra Cormier said...

Howdy, Heidi. Drop into Newmarket sometime! I won't be wearing the costume.